Monday, March 2, 2015

SD Library Challenge for electronic resources/Lesson 1a



World book Kids and World Book Student:
Getting a late start... but today I viewed the World Book Kids and World book Student. I looked up bears and found that the kids version had good but basic information, it was simple to use and also had some short videos available. I liked the link at the bottom that took me directly to World Book Student for more information. The student version had more information, a nice table of contents on the left side. I have listed below some of the optional information that I found :


  • dictionary results
  • related articles
  • additional websites
  • videos, pictures, sounds
  • maps showing where different types of bears list
  • "how to cite" the article information with various styles
  • tables with more information about bears. 
Did you know that some scientists think that bears hibernate but some scientist think that bears are not true hibernators because a bear's body temperature does not drop like other animals that hibernate. Bears also wake fairly easily and will become fairly active on a warm winter day. These scientists use such terms as "winter lethargy" or "incomplete hibernation" to describe the bear's sleep period.

Europe, Asia, Alaska and Western Canada are some of the most populated bear habitats. Polar bears live in the Arctic. Black bears can be black, black with white patches on the chest, brown, cinnamon, blue-gray, and blonde.
I did find one link to a bear cam on a National Geographic web site that was no longer a good link.


World Book Advanced.
I used the country of France and wow....you could literally spend hours researching all the possible articles. This would be a great spot to "save to your research" if you find things that you wanted to use or find again. I noticed the online books as well as articles and tons of other resources. 

World book Discover- A few clicks in and I found American government. This would also be a great site for saving to your research. Read-aloud and different languages would make this great for all types of learners. I liked the video tutorial for World Book Discover to give a nice overview of the resource. 


1 comment:

  1. World Book covers a lot of info and offers many features. I did not know that bears really didn't hibernate. Cool info!
    I did send the link info off to WorldBook for them to look at.

    Thank you for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete