Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Proquest/ Lesson 5

Proquest certainly has scholarly articles on medical conditions. I think that they are helpful but most likely beyond the average laypersons comprehension. Of course that would be up to them to decide but just warning that the ones I searched were scholarly articles. I researched Pena Shokier's syndrome. This is a little known recessive genetic trait that can be passed on to children. I know someone that lost two baby sons with this condition. I also searched Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. 

I also looked for articles on Thompson Square the country music duo that recently sang at the Sanford Premier Center. Typing in Thompson Square produced many articles including the words Thompson or Square so then I typed it in quotes and got the results that I wanted. 
It was also interesting to search topics in specific areas. 

Library Journal has full text articles starting in 1996 to the present. If any library was presented with a book challenge they could get the book review through Proquest.

I checked several blogs and some stated they had looked at other blogs on Diabetes, PTSD and others. Some bloggers did not really say what they had personally looked up.  

1 comment:

  1. Good finds in Proquest--I really like your comment about using the full text journals for book reviews when a book is challenged. There are a number of library related journals in full text which can also be set up as an email alert when new content is added so one could use them for professional reading.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete