Thursday, April 9, 2015

Lesson 7 E-books on Ebsco

E-books on Ebsco. I typed in Dust Bowl and looked at an eBook "Americans View Their Dust Bowl Experiences" . This was easy to use and read similar to any other e-book although the save and cite features would be useful for reports.
I did also check out "The Complete Idiots Guide to Household Solutions". This book was definitely fuzzy and not as easy to read. I assume it has to do with the format. Of course it came up because of bowl stains and dust!

I tried limiting by full text, download available and also publication date.  I also saw you could limit by all resources or eBook. I also noticed it has a Dictionary feature and you can choose different languages.
I was wondering why the most recent publish date is 2002? I searched legal forms but would not really want to promote something that is already over 10 years old.

I found 20 eBooks when I searched Constitution Day but most were not relevant.Honestly I did not find any eBooks that I thought were useful. Hopefully I was not doing something wrong.  I did find lots of information when I selected all sources.

A class is doing projects on Western history. They have exhausted the library's print collection. In EBooks on EbscoHost, click "Advanced Search." In the "Select a Field" box, choose "PB Publisher." In the search box, type "Nebraska" or "Oklahoma." Report your findings. 

PB is not available in the Select a Field box? Has it been updated? I got 149,991 items with the search of Nebraska and nothing in the select a field box.  

1 comment:

  1. I double checked on the PB option---when searching eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) in the advanced search there is an option for PB.

    The eBooks on Ebsco collection has not had new content added since 2006 due to licensing changes. I'm not sure why you were only seeing 2002 content---maybe the search?

    This collection can be useful for literary criticism, history, poetry, etc. The Constitution Day search will not bring up as many useful results as a search for Constitution.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete