Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Lesson 9- History and Genealogy

Ancestry Library

I searched my name and found entries in U.S. phone and address directories and also U.S. Public records index. The phone/address directory had my name address and phone number listed as well as my birth date. I noticed that you had to enter your email for a link to the discovery page. I also searched my maiden name and found our marriage certificate but that was also a link to the discovery page that could be emailed. (These were indexed documents only). I was able to find my grandparents and great-grandparents and see their children listed in the census. I found my grandfathers WWI draft registration.  I also found a new family tree listed for my grandmother that I had not seen before. 
I found no unique photo collections to South Dakota but I did find 8 related photo collections. I looked at historic postcards and typed in Beresford and found one postcard photo of the old high school. 
I think the search format has changed slightly from your instructions. Probably an update happened since I am so late getting this done!

Sanborn Maps- 

I found the current library location in 1928, but it was not yet there in the 1917 maps. In the 1928 map it was an implement and auto store. The library was located above the fire station in the 1928 map. I checked out the key and looked all the maps over, it was fun to see all the early businesses. 


Heritage Quest Library- 

I found information about "Sweeney" South Dakota. This was an early established settlement in Lyman County South Dakota. There was a post office located there. Due to the railroad not being built close to the town it did dissolve in later years. There was some info in the Doane's encyclopedia about Sweeney post office. I also found a small mention of possibly my great grandfather in the Warner's history of Dakota County, Nebraska : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time. I also read about the early blizzards in the book. Very interesting. You can spend hours and hours on the family and related history items.

1 comment:

  1. Neat discoveries in the genealogy resources. The Ancestry picture search does not bring up a South Dakota pictures category--but you will find collections that have SD pictures in them. It is very cool that you found a postcard of the Beresford High School.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete