Monday, April 13, 2015

Lesson 8- WorldCat, CAMIO and more


WorldCat

  • I searched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. 
  • 4586 libraries own the title in hardcover.
  •  Another 1801 libraries own the paperback edition. 
  • When you click on the author you see other items they have written and in this case I also saw the DVD listed (it goes to all formats when you click on author). 
  • When you click on a subject you see other items with the same subject, articles, serials , audiobooks, videos and all other available formats. 
When you click on the libraries that own the title you see South Dakota libraries first, then I think we see Minitex libraries next. I believe that  I generally notice it is IA and MN next then all other locations after that. We use WorldCat almost every day for ordering or cataloging help.

I had not looked at the database tab before so that was new information for me.

OAIster- I searched South Dakota and got 16 results.  I had to create a login if I wanted to look at the Sanford Underground Mine article but then I looked at an article about Tobacco use and Cardiovascular Disease in Native Americans and I was able to read the full text article. Some of the article seem to be government type of documents or studies.  Another great discovery.

CAMIO

I typed in Sioux and had 62 results. I saw that I could filter by date, format. publisher and subject. I could also include all museums and  galleries or filter the ones I wanted or did not want to see. We often do not have resources for beautiful art and this site allows us to see art that we may not ever have a chance to see otherwise. It is a good resource for home-school families that are studying art. 
It was great to click on the item and see it much larger as well as information about what it was and where it is currently located and also the art medium. It was neat the way you can zoom in on the item but then it will shrink back into a small picture with the info. 

I searched Renoir and saw many paintings and other types of art by or about Renoir. I noticed that you can print or download the painting/item. I had to look to find favorites (it was really small up towards the top!) , then I saved a couple of items and clicked on favorites in the gray bar and it was neat the way you can save into a Power Point. 
 

1 comment:

  1. CAMIO is a really neat resource! I love your idea to promote it to home school families for studying art.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete